Members Training Bursary Policy
Lympstone Sailing Club (LSC)
Policy revision approved by the committee: 18 / 05 / 2022
The LSC Members Training Bursary is in place to fund training for members who need qualifications to enable them to volunteer to run and help at club events, or provide training to other club members.
The club will make a typical contribution of 50% of a member’s course fees for an eligible course. A contribution of up to 100% will be made for critical courses required by established volunteers at the discretion of the committee.
All members with a tenure of greater than 12 months are eligible to apply for a bursary.
The following courses are currently eligible to be considered for a bursary:
- RYA First Aid
- RYA Power Boat 2 and Safety Boat
- RYA Safe and Fun Safeguarding
- RYA Instructor and Coach qualifications
- BCAB paddle sports instructor / leader
- BCAB Foundation Safety and Rescue
- BSUPA and ASI SUP Instructor courses
This list is not exhaustive and other relevant qualifications can be considered.
The yearly budget for training bursary will typically be limited and the committee may choose to reject applications when the agreed budget has been exhausted.
Trainees should, in most cases, have agreement from the LSC committee that a bursary will be paid prior to committing to training expenditures. To apply, follow this process:
- Member requests funding support for a course to the LSC treasurer via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org , e-mail must include the following details:
- Course Name, Cost and Date
- Relevant experience to date
- Member’s justification for taking the course
- LSC Treasurer checks eligibility of course and member ahead of the next committee meeting
- LSC Committee will consider applications at next meeting, either rejecting the application, requesting further information from the applicant, or agreeing to fund a proportion of the costs.
- In some cases the LSC Committee may request additional conditions are met before a bursary is paid, e.g. That the recipient agrees to help with a certain number of club events.
- Treasurer will advise the applicant of the bursary award.
- On confirmed completion of the training, and satisfaction of any committee conditions, the treasurer will pay the agreed bursary amount to the member by bank transfer.